The Future of Monument

Qdoba Mexican Grill

Qdoba Mexican Grill

Mackenzie Shuman, Ranger Review Reporter

The small town of Monument, Colorado has been in existence since 1879 when it became a popular stop along the Rio Grande Railroad. Many high school students think that Monument is a ghost town, with the only fun things to do being hiking and hanging out around Freddy’s and Walmart. Any entertainment seems to only be found in the Colorado Springs or Denver areas. However, things are about to change in this small abode.

There has recently been a new restaurant that has sprouted up; Qdoba Mexican Grill. A highly  popular food chain across the nation, and it has finally come to Monument.

Jeanelle Kemp, 12, who is already employed at the Qdoba being built in the town, agrees that this was a necessary addition to Monument.

“Qdoba will help bring in more businesses because people want things to be closer, so hopefully this will start a chain reaction in building up this town,” Kemp said.

Along with Qdoba, another popular food chain has arose to the nearby area. Chick-Fil-A has become a household name and, according to BGR Media, is currently the most popular fast food restaurant in the nation, and starting December 1st, Monument will be added to the list of over 1,600 locations of Chick-Fil-A.

“I am excited for the Chick-Fil-A to open because it is a lot closer so now I don’t have to drive to Academy to get some good food,” Kristen Blount 12 said. “I think it will bring in new businesses, especially if they see that the Chick-Fil-A is doing well and bringing in a lot of people.”

Water parks are uncommon in Colorado, as the weather is not typically ideal for them to be open all year long. However, at the new Great Wolf Lodge being built off of Interquest, this is now possible. This hotel and waterpark in one is a desirable combination for those coming to visit Monument and the surrounding areas.

As said by Cameron Barry 12 the Great Wolf Lodge is “The Great Wolf Lodge is exciting, because we don’t have any water parks around here, and it’ll be open year round for many to come and stay and have a popular and rare attraction.” Barry said he will most likely go to find out what the “buzz” is all about, and return if it is all it’s cracked up to be. Barry also said that “this new business to Monument will bring many more people on vacations to attend the hotel, thus helping the local economy grow and improve.”

The town of Monument is growing, as seen by the new businesses and attractions coming in. Everyone is standing by in suspense both for the new attractions to open and as well to see what the Monument will bring to the people. Monument can expect to see big changes in the near future to come.