How The Election Is Taught

How The Election Is Taught

Bailey McAmis, Reporter

Bailey McAmis

Ranger Review Reporter

The election has always been an important part of living, it’s relevant to how our lives as a citizens will be effected for the next four to eight years. Due to the fact that our country allows it citizens to vote, it becomes our job to become educated on who we choose to elect into office.  Our school systems are in charge with providing reliable facts to the youth and information portraying on current day elections.

“Well I think what it does teach us is a lot of life lessons, it’s a lot about how to be a better person,”  says Carrie Ellis, a spanish teacher at Lewis-Palmer high school when asked why it’s important to learn about politics, “because we are learning about what issues really are issues and how unimportant things become relevant,” Ellis stated.

Our learning process of politics can be associated with how involved the population is. Having factual knowledge on how the election and presidential terms work could help the encouragement of future voters. By learning how to vote, what to look for on ballets, and unbiased facts about the candidates, there could be a decline in dissatisfaction and confusion during election.  

With an overactive media and less eager students, it’s not shocking to hear that social media is where most get their information related to politics. Like when big name celebrities endorse political parties and bash on others, leading their following to what they believe. There are thousands of famous people who repeatedly post and share pictures of candidates who they support and create biased information to sway audiences.   

Often parents talk to their kids about the election. Although, it could easily start fight among them if anyone has opposing opinions. The kids probably often support who their parents do because they could never hear about the offending candidates. “Because I get my opinions from my mom at home, and when I try to talk about it she is very for one candidate,” Student at Lewis-Palmer high school says.

“Schools should probably have no involvement in elections because they are too controversial,” states a teacher while a student, Morgan Fekete,10, says, “Yes, schools should teach this but should focus on actual facts rather than opinions.”

Both hold valid ideas on the involvement of schools in elections, believing that if politics are taught in school they should remain as factual as possible and have as little opinionated conversations as possible.

Politics is still a very important curriculum to teach students. How elections are held and how to find facts on the candidates is vital to all voters and it should be information that can be learned in schools to create politically educated voters for future elections. How we vote in politicians greatly alters our lives and who we elect needs to represent the public. So by teaching politics in schools we can have the best possible understanding of our government and how it works.