Dancing their way into first

Jessica Stokes

The Lewis-Palmer Poms competition team with their 1st place banner

Jessica Stokes, Ranger Review Reporter

The Lewis-Palmer Poms competition team is working hard for the gold.  Placing first at two competitions and practicing hard for state, nothing is going to stop them.

“The competition season started at the end of the fall season and goes until mid winter season,” said Lindsey Purdham, 10.

Most students know of the poms performance team that performs at school events; however, not many know of the poms competition team outside of school.

“The routine is longer, more advanced and we perform in front of judges,” said Purdham.

“The technique is more difficult,” said head captain Devynn Ritchie, 12. “The kicks are faster and the turns are more difficult.”

A lot goes into preparing for competition. The team placed first at their last two Pikes Peak Athletic competitions, but it didn’t go without a lot of hard work and dedication.

“We have extra practices for competition team,” said Ritchie. “We do a lot more conditioning and we work until the routine is perfect.”

“We compete at about four competitions during the season,” Purdham said, “The competitions are all around Colorado and then state is at the Denver Coliseum.”

Ritchie feels that she has a solid team this year. “We are going to do pretty well at the rest of our competitions and we are hoping to place in the top at state,” said Ritchie.