Finding a role in drama club

Chele Randell

Spencer Randell and Kole McKay act out a fight scene in the fall musical, “Oklahoma!”

Ashley Cherry, Ranger Review Reporter

Finding a place to fit in during high school is a challenge that all students face. Some students find their place through sports and extracurricular activities; while others seek their identity through academics. Lewis-Palmer High School also offers a wide variety of clubs that appeal to any student. Drama club allows students to express themselves on stage and gives students a place to make friends and have an excellent high school experience.

Drama club puts on two productions every school year. In the fall, the club produces a musical. In the spring, they have a play. This school year, Drama club performed “Oklahoma!” as their fall musical. This production featured seniors, Kole McKay, as the hero, Curly; and Spencer Randell, as the villain, Jud Fry. Both students are long-time members of Drama club.

“I had several friends that were in [Drama club], so I wanted to try something new that would have a different experience,” McKay said. “I loved it so much that I wanted to stay with it.”

Participating in Drama club is a very large commitment. Those involved must sacrifice other opportunities in order to be a dedicated member.

“I can’t do any sports because of Drama club, so that’s sad. I also have to go home later everyday,  but it’s totally worth it in the end,” Randell said.

Drama club is open to any student of Lewis-Palmer High School. This allows for a wide range of people. This club is full of students of different personalities, backgrounds, strengths and passions. However, all of these members share a common interest in theatre, and helping to make a production the best it can possibly be.

“Everyone is so close to each other. It’s a lot of people that you can relate to all the time; it feels comfortable,” McKay said.

Drama club allows its members to be as involved as they want to. While some members strive to carry a large commitment to the club, others chose to be less involved.

“I definitely recommend trying Drama club,” McKay said.

”Drama club is full of fantastic people; there’s a lot of love,” Randell said.

Drama club will be putting on the production “The Odd Couple” for their spring play. This production will have a male version and a female version. Each version will alternate days on which they perform. The male version will feature seniors Spencer Randell as Oscar, and Bryce Herndon as Felix. The female version will feature seniors Nicole Gardner as Florence, and Taryn Hessel as Olive. These performances will be April 22-25.