Remembering the Lost

Josie Temple, Ranger Review Reporter

A couple of weeks ago, the first anniversary for the Planned Parenthood Shooting passed. 11:40 a.m. on Friday November 27, 2015, a shooting occurred at the Planned Parenthood Clinic located on 3400 block of Centennial Boulevard on the northwest side of Colorado Springs. The tragedy left 3 dead and 9 others injured.

UCCS, University of Colorado Colorado Springs, police officer, Garrett Swasey, was one of the three who lost their lives. News Channel 13 stated “A funeral procession honored Swasey in the following days after the shooting, stretching for miles as hundreds paid their respects to the officer. The procession also went across UCCS where thousands watched the officer go by the community he served for over 6 years.”

Garrett Swasey was given a special mention from Colorado Attorney General Cynthia Coffman on January 12th, 2016. Colorado Springs Police Chief Peter Carey stated to The Gazette “Police officers, when they do their job they’re not expecting to be recognized, so this is a special day.”

Swasey announced “This weekend, we will mark the anniversary of a tragic day for our city – one that we will certainly never forget. While we remember the three individuals we lost, we also recall that despite the senseless acts of one man on one day, our community responded with acts of courage, dedication to fellow citizens and overwhelming support for victims and first responders, both sworn and civilian.”

“I said in the hours that followed that we would not be defined by the events of that day, but rather by our city’s response. In the last year, we have had the opportunity to remember those we lost, Officer Garrett Swasey, Jennifer Markovsky and Ke’Arre Stewart. We have recognized those who responded, from UCCS, CSPD, CSFD, El Paso County Sheriff and AMR and the staff at Planned Parenthood and neighboring businesses who moved patients and visitors to safety. In remembering, recovering and recognizing our heroes, I believe we have displayed our resiliency to the world.” She concluded.

According to Denver 7, “UCCS chancellor Pam Shockley Zalabak released the following statement after learning of Swasey’s death late Friday evening: ‘UCCS officers are sworn, state-certified police officers. Officer Swasey was on duty at the campus and responded in support of Colorado Springs Police. UCCS is working with Officer Swasey’s family and continues to support the Colorado Springs Police Department at the shooting scene.’”

“So today, while we remember, I ask that we also pause to thank the heroes among us, who acted selflessly and continue to do so, in the name of protecting our great city and all who live here.” Coffman concluded.