George Tillman Jr. Astounds Public with The Hate U Give

Amandla Stenberg, playing the role of Starr Carter in the 2018 film The Hate U Give, speaks at the San Diego Comic Con for Entertainment Weekly’s “Women Who Kick Ass.” “Every single day was just so beautiful, I was really moved by how everyone that was a part of this project really showed up with their intentions in the right place and showed up because they wanted to tell the truth and speak for those who can’t,” Stenberg said.

Rhianna Lingle, Ranger Review Reporter

The film The Hate U Give is a necessary film that is relevant to the current political climate in the United States. This film discusses important social issues and spreads awareness for them in a poignant and believable manner.

Directed by George Tillman Jr., The Hate U Give follows main character Starr Carter, played by Amandla Stenberg, through her junior year of high school. Starr faces struggles, not only with social issues and gang violence but with the societal pressure she faces while attending a predominantly white school uptown.

Originally a book by Angie Thomas, the film adaptation followed the storyline rather well, apart from the exclusion of an important character and a minor ending change.

The Hate U Give has been controversial among the public but has received positive reviews. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a high rating of 96%, and other critics from places including The Rolling Stone, The Washington Post, and Vulture praised the movie.

This film is necessary and educational regarding the widespread issue of police brutality and racism across the United States. Director Tillman Jr. does an excellent job of tackling these controversial issues while shining a light on the average teenage plight. The movie carries the viewer along, helping the viewers empathize with what the main characters are facing in their lives. It is shocking to remember at points that what these characters face are what real people face on a day to day basis.

A major fluctuation from the book was the ending. While Starr and her family originally moved out of her neighborhood into the suburbs, I was surprised to see that the film modified the ending so that the Carter family stayed in Garden Heights. Additionally, the exclusion of a major character was alarming, especially since the character was essential to the plot of the book.

Since the film was extremely important, while not necessarily faithful to the book, I would rate ‘The Hate U Give’ 9.6/10.