Equality Of Teams

Our+volleyball+team+celebrating+yet+another+victory+for+our+school.+

Our volleyball team celebrating yet another victory for our school.

Kylee Burton, Reporter

In this school, there is equality of sexes with everything; what kind of education we get, what lunches we get, how much we have to pay for certain things. But something we don’t have equality of is teams.

There has always been a team for mostly everything here at Lewis-Palmer. There’s a hockey team, a volleyball team and even a football team. On the other hand, there has never been a male volleyball team or a female football team.

“I think there should be a boy’s volleyball team if there’s enough people interested, like people who will take it seriously. I want people to take it seriously if they’re going to do it,” Danielle Norman, 9, said.

Danielle has been playing this sport for four years and is well known for playing for her team and has a huge passion for the sport. Danielle shared her opinion on how she thinks there should be a boy’s and girl’s team as long as the boys would take it as seriously as the girls team does.

“This sport is kinda my life and I just really love it,” Norman said. “I think the reason there isn’t already a boy’s volleyball team is there’s not enough coaches, and the seasons conflict, and there aren’t enough schools that are doing it.”

“I don’t think there should be a co-ed team because that would cause a lot of problems because it’s a different division than just female or just male,” Anders Arneson, 9, says. “I personally think they should keep the boys and girls team separate. If we had a co-ed team that means we would have to play against other co-ed teams and there aren’t a lot of those, so it would be rough to find competition.” Norman said.

“I think the girls would make it farther, but that’s because the guys don’t really do club and stuff outside of school, so it’d be more like their first time experiencing it whereas all the girls at our school do club outside of it and practice outside of school. We’re just more experienced.” Norman said when asked who she thought would make it farther if there were two teams in the future.  When asked his opinion on it, Arneson says “I think that the girls would get farther competition wise because one, our team is stellar and two, because there isn’t really a volleyball competition for boys because it’s not really a known thing and not many schools have it. Like, there’s a few places that have it in Colorado so I don’t think there’s a lot of people to have competitions with, like a statewide thing.”

There are many boys who would love to play volleyball, so why can’t they? Hopefully, situations like this will show how our school’s sports administration should create equality between teams so students can have equal opportunities.