Spreading Love by Collecting Cans

Students donate money during a Miracle Minute.

Kathryn Juhasz, Ranger Review Reporter

The Harvest of Love Food Drive, is a donation week that Lewis-Palmer’s student council runs every year. Student council partners with the local non-profit organization, Tri-Lakes Cares, to help local families in need during the holiday season. Student council collected cans of food and money during the week of October 30th through November 3.

During the week, student council had spirit days and multiple activities to gather donations for the food drive.

Tuesday was a donation day, to see how many donations student council could receive. Students could bring in monetary donations and give them to student council representatives at the front door, or they could bring in food donations.

Wednesday was hat day. Students at LP could wear a hat to school if they brought in at least a dollar or a can of food.

On Thursday, students could pay a dollar to be entered in a raffle to pie-a-teacher. This event took place during both lunch periods, and the students who won the raffle could pie one of the teachers who signed up to help with the event.  

Fridays’ activity was a miracle minute during both lunches and the football game. During the lunch periods and the football game, student council tried to gather as much money as they could in a minute.  

The whole fundraiser was a competition between the classes at Lewis-Palmer to see which class could bring in the most donations. Student council’s goal for this fundraiser was to raise $1,000 in combined monetary and food donations.

Sarah Connelly 9, a member of student council, expressed her thoughts on if student council would meet their goal by the end of the week, “ Our goal is to get $1,000 and I think we will get very close.”

Donation boxes were placed in the cafeteria during the week, separated by grade. Student council also hung posters around the school with spirit days to get a word out about the event.

Cade Curry 10 expressed why student council enjoys participating in this fundraiser, “We do think it is a lot of fun and it is not a lot of work either. Since it is for a good cause, we all enjoy doing it.“

Tyler Prichard 9 is a student council member and shared his thoughts on which fundraiser was the most successful. “ Probably pie-a-teacher in the face was the most successful activity. We had a bunch of people show up and a bunch of people donated to try to get a chance to pie-a-teacher in the face. “

During the events that took place during lunch periods, miracle minute and pie-a-teacher, student council had tables in the cafeteria set up and were gathering donations and playing music during the activities.

By the end of the week, student council had collected many donations, and had exceeded their monetary goal for the Harvest of Love Food Drive.