The Dark Phoenix rises

20th+Century+Foxs+the+Dark+Phoenix%2C+directed+by+Simon+Kinberg%2C+comes+out+on+June+7%2C+2019.+Rotten+Tomatoes+describes%2C+In+DARK+PHOENIX%2C+the+X-MEN+face+their+most+formidable+and+powerful+foe%3A+one+of+their+own%2C+Jean+Grey.+

20th Century Fox’s the Dark Phoenix, directed by Simon Kinberg, comes out on June 7, 2019. Rotten Tomatoes describes, “In DARK PHOENIX, the X-MEN face their most formidable and powerful foe: one of their own, Jean Grey.”

Kacy Mull, Ranger Review Reporter

The trailer for the Dark Phoenix was released September 26. It aired on the Late Late Night with James Corden talk show. Though the release date was pushed back from November 2, 2018 to June 7, 2019, fans of the X-Men series could not be more hyped. Many positive comments were made because of the way the trailer was so action packed yet vague with what was going to be the end result in the movie.

According to Movieweb, the soundtrack is composed by Hans Zimmer who had previously retired from producing soundtracks for superhero movies.The soundtrack used in the trailer  is very ominous and intense, so fans might be in for a very heart wrenching movie.

According to Collider.com, James McAvoy, who plays Charles Xavier, said, “This is probably the most emotional X-Men we’ve done… there’s a lot of sacrifice and a lot of suffering.”

The Dark Phoenix was foreshadowed in the previous movie in two separate scenes. One of them was when Jean Grey, the main character and the Dark Phoenix, woke up screaming about how everything she loved was burning. This could be included inside of the movie. Another was when we see the Phoenix Force surrounding her in the shape of a bird, when the Phoenix Force was brought out inside her.

According to Marvel’s website, Phoenix Force is an entity that attaches itself to people with potential and usually goes by the name Phoenix while in each of its hosts. The Phoenix Force attached itself to Jean Grey when the X-Men were on a mission in space. But, as mentioned previously, the Phoenix seemed to be locked away by Professor X when he first saw it so the stance that the writers will take is unclear. In the comics, Jean Grey’s mind was tampered with, thus releasing the Phoenix Force and causing it to go insane and become the Dark Phoenix. Jean was able to get ahold of her conscious again and take control of the Dark Phoenix.

In the trailer, we see the story through the eyes of Jean Grey, unlike the previous movie X-Men: Last Stand. The movie is pulling inspiration from the movie Logan by dropping the “X-Men” title and calling it by just “Dark Phoenix.” We see Jean in almost every scene of the trailer with voice overs as a way to include more in the trailer without making it longer by adding more scenes.

These voice overs give us a glimpse of how Jean lost control in the first place and why the Phoenix Force did not surface many years before. Charles admits he locked the dark part of Jean’s mind instead of attempting to teach her how to control it like he did with her mutations of telepathy and telekinesis. Raven and Erik give him backlash for this action in the voice overs. Charles Xavier seems to be more of the antagonist in the movie and, according to Collider, is creating problems in the team with his growing ego.

This film with take place 10 years after X-Men: Apocalypse but even with the large gap in time, the cast will remain the same as in the “new generation” of X-Men movies, X-Men: First Class and the films following it. This is a nod to the X-Men comic books timelines which fluctuates throughout the years. This is shown with the cast of X-Men: First Class because the timeline over the movies has been more than 40 years but the cast remains to look similar even when they should have aged over the passing time.

The new X-Men films are prequels to the original movies. According to Express.co, not all of them could be connected, though because of the X-Men: Days of Future Past timeline messing the previous movies’ occurrences up. The movie Dark Phoenix is supposed to be X-Men: Last Stand done right. But because the new movies are supposed to serve as prequels, they most likely won’t kill off Jean Grey like they did in Last Stand. This would also affect the events of Wolverine because he won’t be forced to kill Jean. Collider.com explained the writers will be using the comic book timeline and be taking the movie to space.

Overall, the movies have been known to branch away from the comics and use different versions of the universes in their films. So, the future for Jean Grey and the rest of the X-Men is uncertain to the fans and could possibly turn out much different than the comics.