Choir hits the stage

Justin Squibb

Treble Voices sings Las Amarillas their last song of the night. “I have been very happy with both choirs over the past couple of years and I am very proud of all my students,” Mr. Douthit said.

Madison Squibb, Ranger Review Reporter

Music rang through the halls of Lewis-Palmer on Thursday, October 25th, as the first choir concert of the year took place. The school has two choirs this year: Mixed choir, with forty-five male and female singers, and Treble voices, with twenty-three all female singers. George Douthit is Lewis-Palmer’s choir director, as well as the school’s guitar teacher. Douthit said being a part of choir takes long hours of practice when speaking about how the choirs prepare for concert.

Mr. Douthit has been a choir director at Lewis-Palmer for eighteen years. “I like the process, I like being able to talk about the meaning of the music and to get to the point where we are not just singing notes on a page, but being able to intellectualize it and make it a part of us,” Mr. Douthit said.

Sarah Oliver 12, has been in Treble Voices since her sophomore year of highschool.

“We have class every other day where we sing through our songs, but I normally take home my folder and mark out my rhythms where I struggle so I can perform my best at concerts,” Oliver said. “My favorite part of choir is my sisterhood, being able to see the girls’ smiling faces every other day and being able to have that kind of family feeling.”

Both choirs started the concert by singing I See Colors written by Pinkzebra, standing down both sides of the auditorium isles. Mixed choir promptly followed on the stage singing three pieces, Oh Bella Fusa by Orlando di Lasso, And so Did I by Isaac Cox, and lastly On Justice, Truth and Peace by Amy Bernon. Treble voices performed last with four songs, Kevade kutse by Patrick Sebastien, Jubal’s Lyre by George Frederick Handel, Wayfaring Stranger by Shane Warby, and Las Amarillas by Stephen Hatfield.

Caleb Pace 11 is a mixed choirs’ male singer, who has been in choir since his freshman year. “I like that we have more people this year because I think it gives us room to grow and have more potential.” Pace said.

“I do think that it went well for us. Our Spanish piece that many of us struggled with at rehearsal went really well and we got our rhythms and our clapping right,” Kayli Ecklund 10 said. She then continued saying that her favorite song of the night was Wayfaring Stranger, “because it is a very dramatic piece and we were able to get really loud and have fun with it.”

“I have been very happy with both choirs over the past couple of years and I am very proud of all my students,” Mr. Douthit said. The choirs will continue to practice as they prepare for their spring concerts.