Students raise money for Ukraine through bake sale

Gianna Cozzolino

Adel Begalieva 11 talks to a student interested in the bake sale. Lines formed as people bought baked goods and learned what the bake sale was about.

Gianna Cozzolino, Ranger Review Reporter

After years of attacks, in February 2022, Russia’s president, Vladamir Putin, made the call to invade Ukraine, displacing many Ukrainian citizens and putting them in need.

In light of this, some students raised money during both lunches on March 14th, and before first period on March 15th. The bake sale had cupcakes with the colors of the Ukrainian flag, cookies, chocolate covered pretzels and car air fresheners. 

Ukrainian foriegn exchange in schools in Colorado Springs offered up the idea to Lewis-Palmer students. Many students participated in the event including, Alesia Stingu 11, an exchange student from Romania, Adel Begalieva 11, an exchange student from Kyrgyzstan, and Diana Rakar 11, an exchange student from Bosnia. Students met up the weekend before to bake and prepare

“After all the cookies are sold, we will count all of the money and send them to our local coordinator. She will send them to the national office of our program, and the program will eventually send the money to the organizations,” Begalieva said. “The organizations are Red Cross Ukraine, Army SOS, United Help Ukraine, Revived Soldiers Ukraine, and Come Back Alive.”

The bake sale was well received. Students were intrigued, asked questions and bought goods, all interested in doing their part to assist Ukraine.

“People were really nice with the bake sale, even people that were just passing by told us it was a good idea. There were also people that spent 20 or 30 dollars on the bake sale. I was just amazed,” Begalieva said.

Financially, the bake sale was a success as well. While no goal was set up, they raised more than a sufficient amount to make a difference.

“I counted the money from Monday and we collected about $227. Translated to Ukrainian currency, that would be about 6600 hryvnia,” Begalieva said. 

The students were motivated to help people in need. Everyone felt compassion towards refugees.

“I was really driven and excited by this idea. However, the planning was really tough and long. And I feel like a person who could change history,” Begalieva said. “If we can help Ukraine, then we can change how things turn out.”