Advanced Placement tests are coming up for Lewis-Palmer students

Owen Zielinski, Ranger Review Reporter

AP tests are classified as college level courses offered at the high school level. Each course operates much the same as a regular class, except harder, with the main difference being that AP students take a nation-wide, three hour test in May that, if passed, qualifies the student to receive college credit for the course.

The AP program was created by the College Board, which also produces the AP tests. All tests are required to be administered at the same time nationwide to create a sense of fairness and to prevent cheating.

“AP classes are great because they open up more opportunities for you,” Kyle Meredith, 10, said, “if I pass my AP test I can get college credit, not to mention the style of class really helps develop my mind critically.”

The dates this year for AP testing are the weeks of May 4 and May 11. Tests are administered at the Grace Best administration building, the District 38 headquarters. Tests are administered twice a day, with one test occurring in the morning while another class’ test is taken in the afternoon.

“The hardest thing about AP classes is the increased rigor of the course,” Jackson Neal, 10, said, “most of them have summer assignments and various readings and projects throughout the year.”

Lewis-Palmer High School offers over sixteen AP classes in a variety of subjects, from art to science. Some examples include AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP Psychology, and AP Literature.

“It’s cool that we get this opportunity in this district that a lot of other students don’t get,” Meredith said, “it’s a great way to get ahead.”

Most AP tests consist of a multiple choice portion and some sort of essay or long answer. The tests usually take around three hours and the results are given out around the Fourth of July.