Can D-38 afford the snow day?

Jourdan Valentine

The Colorado winter is quickly coating the ground with snow.

Gabrielle Broeker, Ranger Review Reporter

As the state of Colorado has transitioned from fall to winter, parents, students, and staff of a variety of school districts are checking their weather and school websites more often as they experience the change in weather. The Lewis-Palmer school district has already been given three snow days solely in the month of November. While some students and staff celebrate a day off, many dislike the days spent at home opposed to receiving a day of education.

Allyson Malloy, 12, said, “It’s so inconvenient. I like having the breaks and all, but now all of the homework and assignments that were due this week are now due after break on top of the many projects I’ve already been assigned for Thanksgiving break. Also, it’s harder for the teacher because I had big projects due this week so the teachers could grade over Thanksgiving break, and now they can’t because we are behind.”

The Lewis-Palmer school district is aware of the weather conditions Monument receives every winter and has developed a policy on how to handle each storm. According to the Lewis-Palmer High School website, closures and delays can be decided even if only one area of the district is heavily affected. District 38 covers a wide range of El Paso County from Palmer Lake to east of Highway 83. If only half of the students could make it to school after a snowstorm, the school will not continue with a normal schedule. In simple terms, it’s all or nothing.

“The state requires a certain amount of minutes completed by every high school student so we build in right around seven snow days a year, but they really count minutes. If we get close to the state requirement we have one of two options: we either extend the school day or we can extend the school year. If it’s really bad we can apply for a waiver from the state,” Lewis-Palmer High School principal Sandi Brandl said.

At this point of the school year, staff are trying to finish their curriculum not only before Thanksgiving break, but also before Christmas break. With finals week quickly approaching, there are still many lessons and units to be taught before students begin testing. Finals week is set to take place December 14th through December 17th.

“Snow days ruin the rhythm of the class. Also, it messes with the schedule because we end on an orange day,” Spanish teacher Carrie Ellis said. “Of course the students will be ready for finals week. It’s just a bit more cramped to get everything in, but we always manage.”

While loading school work onto students for Thanksgiving break may seem like a solution to finishing the semester on time, many students feel differently. Thanksgiving break is supposed to be a time off of school to relax with family and friends for the holiday; however, the snow days state otherwise. This leaves students stressed, upset, and pressured to get school work done on time.

“I’m pretty stressed and pressured since I don’t know how much we’re going to have to make up before finals,” Malloy said.

If the Colorado winter shapes up to be anything like or worse than the snow days District 38 has already received, students, staff and parents may see an extended school year come May. This would not only affect graduation and summer vacations but it would affect the mentality of students as they are forced to stay in school longer than normal.

“Typically we give seniors that last week off; well we won’t be able to do that if we have too many snow days because they are counting senior’s minutes too and it would void their diplomas. Last year we added minutes to the day and shortened lunch so we could still finish the school year on time. Our lunches are still five minutes shorter and it buys us a little more snow time for the year,” Brandl said. “Student safety comes first; that’s the priority. It has to be about getting kids here safely.”