Political amendments affect residents in Colorado

Voters+can+access+information+about+the+amendments+and+propositions+in+the+2016+State+Ballet+of+Colorado.++

Voters can access information about the amendments and propositions in the 2016 State Ballet of Colorado.

Rebecca Crook, Ranger Review Reporter

Although most people are focused on the 2016 Presidential Election, there are many issues here in Colorado, issues residents need to focus towards. As of October 28, 2016, almost 900,000 residents of Colorado have already sent in their voting ballots for the Presidential race, but they may not have been prepared to vote on the in-state issues, due to the lack of media coverage towards these subjects.

According to the Daily Kos Website, about 2,700,000 residents of Colorado voted in 2012, and there are more expected to vote here in 2016. Although most students here at LPHS can’t vote, many of them have developed an opinion towards certain issues.

Amendment 70, argues the topic of minimum wage increases. The current minimum wage in Colorado is  $8.31, but some residents are demanding more money. Many students have jobs that pays minimum wage. Minimum wage increase could lead to more wages for our students, but others disagree because it could raise the cost of living expenses.

A more sensitive issue that made the ballot was Assisted Death, known as Proposition 106. Some people argue that Assisted Death is murder, while others claim that it is a person’s own decision to end their own life if they are suffering at such a degree. Assisted Death is a process where patients who have been diagnosed with six months or less to live are allowed to have a prescription they can self-administer in order to end their life. To process Assisted Death, an individual would have to be a Colorado resident over the age of 18 years old. They would have to be diagnosed by two doctors confirming that they would have 6 months or less to live, and would also have to make their decision themselves.

Amendment 72 includes the topic of increasing tax on cigarettes by $1.75 per pack of 20. Colorado currently has a tobacco excise tax of $0.84 per pack of cigarettes. If they added the tax, it would bring the total tobacco tax up to $2.59 for a pack of 20 cigarettes. This could possibly lower the amount of cigarettes bought, which is a major reason why some citizens are for this amendment, according to Westword.com. E-Cigarettes would be excluded from this taxation if this amendment is approved. According to Ballotpedia, revenue from the tobacco tax would be distributed to health-related programs, towards research on tobacco-related health issues, education and prevention, and improving child and adult mental health.

This Colorado election could be very important, but it is getting washed out in the presidential candidate’s campaign. By informing others and share your opinion these amendments can either be placed or abolished for the residents of Colorado.