In the wake of a close election

Creative Commons image by Fibonacci Blue on Flickr.

Annie Ackerman, Ranger Review Editor

Even in the aftermath of what is widely considered to be one of the closest elections in history, America is split nearly down the middle with the new prospect of Mr. President Trump.Though the end of the election was supposed to quell the widespread hatred across America, thousands of Americans are still in denial of the newest developments in leadership across the country.

Protests and riots began to surge shortly after the results were in, and Trump was declared to be the new leader of the United States of America. In fact, just the night after the election results were finalized, protesters surged outside the White House, Trump Tower, and the newly opened Trump Hotel in Washington D.C. proclaiming, “Trump Is Not My President.” It may be safe to say that there was even more turmoil and commotion after the election than there was during the campaign itself.

Lewis-Palmer High School student Rebecca Bristowe 12 stated, “You know something is wrong when you wake up and you see hundreds of thousands of teenagers and adults crying their eyes out because they are scared for their future.”

Bristowe said that she mostly supported HIllary because of Trump’s stance of LGBT rights. She connects personally with these issues because she identifies a pansexual, gender-fluid teenager in a polyamorous relationship.

Bristowe recounted, “I cried [when I found out]. The next day I had to leave school. It was not a good day for me.”

On the other hand, there was and is a good portion of the population who support Trump. Ethan Spillers 12 stated, “I agree with a lot of [Trump’s] policies, mostly with his ideas of economics, illegal immigration, and healthcare.”

However, there is still some tension between Trump and Hillary supporters, even after the election is over. These tensions are even manifesting themselves in Lewis-Palmer High School.

Tommy Lennon 10 stated, “There were a lot of people who didn’t want to be around me because I’m a Trump supporter.”

“I think it’s honestly kind of ridiculous” Spillers explained. “It’s an election. It happened. It is what it is, and you’ve just got to deal with that.”

Are the results of the election really as big of a deal as everyone makes them out to be? Dannielle Ranisate doesn’t think so. “I think it’s kind of overdone. I mean, it’s been a while. I really don’t think it’s a huge deal in school.”

Not every Lewis-Palmer High School student doesn’t seem to think that the election is a huge deal, but there are some students who clearly think that this election was life-changing. The question is, will Trump really live up to his high expectations? As Hillary Clinton stated in her concession speech, “Let us not lose heart. There is more work to do.” It doesn’t matter who won or lost. America still remains the Land of The Free and the Home of the Brave.