Ranger Review

Disaster of the Decade

Aftermath of Harvey

Aftermath of Harvey

Aftermath of Harvey

Emma Ackerman, Reporter

Both reporters and citizens never saw it coming. From the words of Quartz media, “Hurricane Harvey developed so fast it took national forecasters by surprise.”

The Category 4 hurricane completely submerged over 50 counties along the Texas coast and mercilessly killed over 70 people, leaving the area looking like the shattered aftermath of an apocalypse.  

From the words of the National Weather Service, the storm was “beyond anything experienced before.” 50 inches of water (about as deep as the shallow side in most swimming pools) rained from the skies in under 24 hours.  Also according to the National Weather Service, Tropical cyclone rain records all over the US were shattered.

As people returned to the area to view the aftermath, what they found was complete destruction. Cars were useless, so citizens traveled in boats down the flooded highways or flew in airplanes from above.

Even though the hurricane struck in Texas, it is affecting some of the lives of students here in Colorado, including Lewis Palmer students, such as Paige Swope, 9.  Paige talked about some of her relatives that were affected by the hurricane.  Paige said that, “Their backyard was flooded along with their entire street.”

From the ashes, people have risen up.  Everyone that can is dedicating their time and resources to help those affected by the hurricane.CNN News says that GlobalGiving, which calls itself the largest global crowdfunding community, has a goal of raising $2 million for its Harvey relief fund, and the Salvation Army has also pitched in and is providing food and water to the first responding victims of Harvey.

President Trump commented, “It is a historic amount of water. There’s never been anything like it. So the people are handling it amazingly well and the people of Texas as you know have really persevered. And when you watch the spirit and the enthusiasm and helping each other and the teamwork, it’s really been something.”  

According to the Los Angeles Times, over 30,000 people have had their homes destroyed and have recently been placed in temporary shelters.

USA Today calls Harvey “one of the worst disasters America has ever faced.”  It will take years to fully recover from Harvey, but until then, every step is being taken to help and support Harvey’s victims and revive Texas to its former glory.