The student news site of Lewis-Palmer High School.

Ranger Review

Effects of 9/11 Sixteen Years Later

9%2F11+Memorial
9/11 Memorial

9/11 Memorial

9/11 Memorial

Haley Carlson, Ranger Review Reporter

The phrase “Never Forget” has been used for the last decade to remind Americans of a tragic day in the United States history: 9/11. Because of this phrase, reserved people will become instantly moved because of the impact 9/11 had on our nation. Not only was the United States, but the entire world was affected by those 18 hours of terror.

Most Americans know about the crash of the airplanes into the twin towers on September 11, 2001, resulting in approximately 3,000 people dead, 10,000 people wounded and a nation left paralyzed with fear. Many people to this day can still recall where they were or what they were doing.

According to ABC News, America as a whole has changed immensely because the government  has become much more prepared for any scenario thrown at the nation regarding security or protection. The down side to sufficient protection is a considerable  decrease in privacy leaving many people to suspect the government of too much knowledge.

According to Independent News, after 9/11 the number of orphans grew rapidly- 3,000 more children became orphans in the United States.

Coupled with the topic of adolescents, teaching today’s millennials about the events on 9/11 leads to confusion because they cannot recall their personal experiences. They were either not born yet or too young to remember.

A few adolescents in our community have someone who had been largely affected by 9/11, one of them being Alex Allen 10.

Although he was not born yet, Allen said his mother was in the Pentagon when the planes crashed into the twin towers. Allen stated, “ My family does not like to talk about it a lot so we don’t have intense discussions about it.”

One student was only six months old when the attack occurred. At the time,  Sophia Artley 11 and her family were all living in Virginia and her parents worked near the Pentagon. Her parents recognized that skies were quiet for a few days and everything seemed to move in slow motion.

According to Matthew Adams 9 and Kennedy Boone 12, not only those who lost loved ones suffered from that tragic day. The reporters were told by all Lewis Palmer High School students interviewed that 9/11 should never be forgotten because it has shaped America into what is today.

Millions of people are still being affected by the accident on September 11, 2001. History.com states that even though the attack occurred 16 years ago it is still a major piece to America and people are still having trouble recovering. It also says that 9/11 should always remain in the hearts of the citizens as a remembrance to the fallen and a salute to the brave.