Ranger Review

New York Appalled after Attack on Halloween

The truck used to run over the bicyclists 
Photo Courtesy of GH434

The truck used to run over the bicyclists Photo Courtesy of GH434

Brennan Lee, Ranger Review Reporter

New York is in grief. An attack on Halloween night resulted in eight deaths of innocent civilians, twelve critical injuries, and irreparable mental damage. All of this pain and destruction is a direct consequence of a reckless act of hatred. One ISIS pledged member rented a truck and proceeded to enact a killing spree by driving the truck from New Jersey to New York, running over several people

The suspect, a 29-year-old immigrant from Uzbekistan Sayfullo Saipov, had reportedly rented a truck from Home Depot and then drove in the bicycle lane on West Houston Street, running over one and a half dozen cyclists. After this horrific act, he then proceeded to get out of the vehicle with two fake guns sending the surrounding area into panic.

Police reports that the pursuing officer shot him, incapacitated him. He was then rushed to the hospital where he is now in police custody. Although many differ in what should be done to him, all can agree on one thing; justice for his crimes.

Despite this tragedy, many LP students and teachers think that this kind of event has become normal for the world now. Kenneth LeSage, a teacher at LP said “Unfortunately, I think it’s the new normal”. Matthew Malloy 10, a student from LP also said something similar to LeSage as being, “I think it’s awful, but I don’t think it’s anything new”.

Some LP teachers and students gave their opinions on what should be done to this man. LeSage said, “I don’t know if New York is able to override their state law of no capital punishment, but definitely I’m hoping he will quickly  go to court and justice will be served.” Malloy 10 mentioned, “The president made comments on this and that he shouldn’t even receive rights, and to a degree I kind of agree with that.” “The main reason I agree to that is because he’s not technically a born American.” Another student, Jake Carlsen 10, immediately stated when asked, “Death penalty. Death by injection.”

Both LeSage and Malloy made sure to mention Trump’s recent comments of sending the suspect to Guantanamo Bay, where the government  could do “enhanced interrogation off U.S. soil. The country has mixed feelings on this of course, with many speaking out against the president’s remarks.

All three of the LP residents are taken aback by this event just like the rest of the country, their best wishes go to those families that lost their relatives in this attack. Carlsen  stated, “Terrorist attacks happen on a regular basis and I’m sorry.” Six of the eight victims killed were tourists from other countries. LeSage said, “It’s unfortunate that they come to America and something terrible like that happens.”  LeSage said, “I hope the families have a good family and hopefully they can move on and I can’t even imagine.”

“In one sense I like the fact that people still went Trick-or-Treating a couple of hours later. [We] don’t let the terrorists win. [We] don’t allow them to scare us,” LeSage said.

About the Writer
Brennan Lee, Reporter

Brennan Lee is now a sophomore at Lewis-Palmer High School, and he is new to the Ranger Review staff. He was born in Colorado. He enjoys watching football, especially the Kansas City Chiefs. He was and still is a part of the Lewis-Palmer swim team, where he lettered for varsity his Freshman year. Brennan is now part of DECA and looks forward to his Sophomore year being great. Being from a military background, he will apply to both the Air Force and Naval Academies his Junior year where he will become a pilot for either one if accepted. He enjoys history, whether it be reading about it or watching documentaries about it. He also participates in the Boy Scouts where he is one rank and one project away from Eagle Scout. His current goal is to finish Eagle rank by the end of sophomore year, and he is looking forward to the remaining years of high school.