Ranger Review

Mysterious mail bombs arrive on politicians’ doorsteps

A+scientist+examines+a+pipe+bomb+for+clues+as+to+who+sent+it+to+various+celebrities+and+politicians+around+the+country.+While+investigating%2C+bomb+experts+examined+and+safely+detonated+the+bombs.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

A scientist examines a pipe bomb for clues as to who sent it to various celebrities and politicians around the country. While investigating, bomb experts examined and safely detonated the bombs.

Photographer credit: Creative Commons

Photographer credit: Creative Commons

Photographer credit: Creative Commons

Sarah Wright, Ranger Review Reporter

In the past week, several pipe bomb-like devices were addressed to a number of Democratic party members, including Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and Joe Biden. Another package was also intercepted at CNN headquarters, prompting a lock down of the surrounding area. A suspect was taken into custody on October 26th.

The first bomb was discovered Monday, October 22nd, at the home of George Soros, a well-known philanthropist. Law enforcement’s examination of the explosive revealed that it was made of PVC pipe, shrapnel and a type of explosive powder.

On Wednesday the 24th, several more bombs sent out to people, including the Clintons, Barack Obama, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, and Eric Holder. Secret Service screenings of the mail ensured that the Clintons and Obama never personally received the packages.

A package addressed to former CIA director John Brennan appeared on Wednesday as well as at the CNN Headquarters in New York. Its arrival prompted officials to call a lockdown of the surrounding area. The newsroom was evacuated and a bomb squad was called in to safely get rid of the bomb.

Two more bombs were discovered on Thursday, October 25th, intended for Joe Biden and Robert De Niro. Both were intercepted before being delivered and taken care of by bomb squads.

The bombs and the packages were all identical to each other: small manila envelopes with pipe bombs enclosed. Six of the envelopes are reported to have had first-class stamps and several contained spelling errors in the addresses. In all, fourteen bombs were sent out to various Democrats across the nation.

On Friday, October 26th, a suspect was arrested in Florida. Cesar Sayoc, 56, was identified by a fingerprint found on one of the packages that matched one in his criminal records. He is charged with sending thirteen of the mail bombs and police say he will likely be charged with the fourteenth as well.

Law enforcement found data that suggests that Sayoc had been planning the attack for months. Officials said that Sayoc could get up to forty-eight years in prison for his crimes. A pre-trial is scheduled for this Friday, November 2nd, and as of yet, Sayoc has not submitted a plea.