A squad is Only as strong As it’s weakest Dancer

Photo taken by Marlene Beatty. It was pink night to promote awareness for Breast Cancer.

Ciara Lewis, Ranger Review Reporter

The Lewis-Palmer POMS dance team competes several times a year in dance competitions around the state of Colorado, including the CHSAA state spirit competition, which is a competition that represents every high school in the state. The poms team dances to pop rock, jazz, contemporary and hip hop. The team also performs at Lewis-Palmer sporting events such as football, soccer and volleyball games as well as assemblies, parades and summer camp.

Last year the team only won 8 out of their 25 competitions, but this year the Poms team has been doing fantastic at their competitions, the team has won every competition so far and poms has only two more that will be taking place at the tree lighting at Limbach park and the state competition that is coming up December 3rd.

The poms team is a year round sport, practicing all year including during the summer. Even though the girls can get burnt out for a while, the competitions always helps them to strive to work harder and for their passion for dance to become even stronger.

“I feel like the whole poms team is wanting to take on this sport to college, so practicing now and learning new things is very important, and I feel like that’s what makes our team so unique from all the others.” Christen Butler 11 said.

For the girls poms team, the most exciting about the sport is performing in front of the crowds at football games against Palmer Ridge and showing off what they have worked so hard on the last few months considering the team works all year long to have the crowd enjoy the halftime of the sports

“My favorite part about poms would have to be performing at all of the assemblies that we have after working so hard at practices. It just feels so good to finally nail it and show off what we worked so hard on.” Butler said.

The team is a group full of dancers who at one point wants to dance for the professional teams like the Denver Nuggets or the college football cheerleaders, and this is what can really bring a team together and to want to further this more into a career and this is important for all teams.