Lewis-Palmer Girls’ swim team dives off on a good note

Creative commons photo courtesy of elise.y on Flickr. A girl is diving headfirst into the pool to begin the race.

Annie Ackerman, Ranger Review Editor

Though swimming makes people think of sunny skies and sandy beaches, Lewis-Palmer High School has just completed tryouts for the Girls’ Swim team. The season lasts through most of the winter, ending well into February. The tryouts lasted for a whole week, from November 11th to November 18th

Erika Hartel 10 competed for the team last year and has high expectations for the new team this year

“I think our team is going to do a lot better than last year. We have got a bunch of new Freshmen that are really good, so I think our team is going to improve,” Hartel stated. There are also a plethora of new freshmen on the team this year, and many of them have a swimming background.

Even though she has been swimming for 11 years, Hartel has still learned a lot from the swim team. “The girls are really nice, and the team is really good. Last year, I actually improved my swimming a lot from previous years.”

Hartel thinks that, besides the opportunity for personal growth, the competitions are the best part of being on the swim team. The swim team does not have a set Varsity or JV teams like most other sports, and instead shifts the athletes around the team. The goal is for each player to have a chance to compete on the Varsity team for at least one competition in the season.

“Last year, our team actually ended up winning for most of the competitions, with the exception of only one or two. You get to hang out with your friends and meet new people, so it is really a positive experience,” Hartel said.

“We got a new coach last year, and she was different from the coaches we have had in the past, but she added kind of a different vibe to the team,” Hartel said. “It was a very fun experience.”

As the year comes to a close, the season for the Lewis-Palmer Girl’s swim team is just beginning. With high expectations for this new season, the swim team is ready to dive off.