Cheerleaders are off to state

Lewis-Palmer+cheer+team+prepares+for+state.+

Jen Rauchut

Lewis-Palmer cheer team prepares for state.

Hannah Vanduren, Ranger Review Reporter

Many of Lewis-Palmer’s sports teams have competed in state this year and are done with their season. But not for cheer! On Friday December 9th, the varsity cheer team will be competing at the Denver coliseum.

Jade Isidore 12, is a senior and has been on the cheerleading team all 4 years of high school. She works hard every practice to achieve the goals she set for herself at the beginning of the season. Isidore is looking forward to her 4th year of state and has set very high standards for her team.

“I’m really looking forward to state this year. I think we will have a good chance at making finals and possibly winning. One thing I have improved this year is my tumbling skills and learning to work together with my team.” Isidore says.

Another athlete, Gabby Nehme 11, also works hard for her team and is excited to see how far they will get this friday. Nehme thinks they will get top ten and hopefully move onto finals. She’s proud of her team members and how far they’ve come this season.

“Practices are really hard and tiring. I feel like there is a lack of motivation throughout our team which makes things even harder. The week of state is really challenging because our coach makes us throw full out after full out which exhausts the team.” Nehme says.

Every year at state there are all different types of divisions. The divisions consist of co-ed, 5A co-ed and all girl, 4A co-ed and all girl, and 3A teams. The Lewis-Palmer cheer team competes against 4A all girl teams. The teams have been working on their routines since summer and have been competing since November.

A freshman on the cheer team, Camille Ranisate 9, has been feeling really good about going into state. She believes that her team will hit a deduction free routine and make it to finals.

The state competition takes the top 8 teams to finals. Finals will take place on Saturday December 10th at the Denver coliseum. After the top 8 teams compete the judges will announce the winning team of 2016.

“To make it to finals, you have to basically hit a deduction free routine, hit all stunts, stay clean, be loud, and keep your energy high throughout the whole routine,” Ranisate said. “You get really tired during the routine but you have to push through and keep your energy high to keep the crowd involved.”

One of the positions on the team is a flyer. Kaiya Tang 10, is a first year flyer for Lewis-Palmer and has worked extremely hard to help her team be successful.

“This is my first year on the cheer team and I am looking forward to seeing how we do at state. I know that it will be a tiring two and a half minutes but I am truly looking forward to the experience I will have of performing in front of hundreds of people to show how far my team has come,” Tang said. “I am so proud of my team and cannot wait to take the mat with my second family.”