5 Reasons Why High School Sports Benefits Students

Ciara Lewis, Ranger Review Reporter

Athletics have been a part of high school for decades, and to some students, it’s a big part of their lives. Some students and parents wonder why it is so important to have sports, and it’s simply because sports are important to a teenager’s growth– both in mind and body. While many students are involved in sports because of sheer love for the sport, there are significant benefits from these activities as well. Here are 5 reasons why they benefit students- some of which parents and students may not even realize.

Number One: Having an extracurricular activity in a teenagers life means that they are keeping their grades up and not failing any classes. In most high schools through the United States, it is required that an athlete must keep their grades up to a certain grade in order to be eligible to play in the games. That being said, if they want to show off what they have been learning during practices and help their team win, they’re going to need to keep their grades up, plus nobody likes sitting on the sidelines when they have been working hard to learn a new skill. Also, a study was published back in 2013 that being involved in a sport, a teenager performs 10 percent better in core subjects than a teenager who doesn’t participate in sports.

Number Two: Sports help students to learn sticktoitiveness. An article that was published on Education.Com talks about how athletes learn the importance of the three “P’s”; Persistence, Patience, and Practice. A teenager who is involved in a sport have realized the importance of sticking to something they signed up for, even if it does take some time. They learn that even though they want to hang out with friends, they must go to practice because they are committed, and that practice makes perfect, and the harder they work, the better they perform. They also discover that by never giving up, they are more than likely able to achieve their goals and dreams. These lessons benefit students long after their high school years, helping them achieve in college and after.

Number Three: Sports help with time management skills. There is no doubt that sports take up a good portion of a student’s time, leaving them with almost no time to complete homework or other activities. In order to complete these activities they wish to accomplish, they must learn time management skills. “Being involved in a sport definitely helps time management- wise. It affects when I go to work and when I have time to do homework, but at the end of the day, I still manage to get it done” Said Christen Butler, 11. Having time management skills at a young age can help when they become an adult, because once they learn it now, it could come naturally and make their adult life a little less stressful.

Number Four: They help to develop healthy physical habits. The fitness level of students involved in athletics cannot be underestimated. A study that was published in 2014 showed that students involved in sports agreed that they rather be doing something active rather than watching tv or playing video games. Also, in a 2008 study, it showed that when women are given the opportunity to be involved in a sport, their weight and body mass improves. Studies also suggest that when teenagers are involved in an extracurricular activity, they are less likely to participate in risky or unhealthy behavior.

Number Five: Sports can help in the long run. Being an athlete is also very appealing to colleges, because it shows them that the student isn’t only able to manage their school work but that they are doing well in an extracurricular activity. It shows that they are well rounded and understand how to balance other things other than school work. For star high school student athletes this could mean a scholarship and a spot on the college’s team.

So there you have it. If you are thinking about joining a sport and don’t know if it would benefit you, then think again. Not only will being involved in a sport help benefit you during your high school years but also will benefit you for years to come.