The student news site of Lewis-Palmer High School.

Ranger Review

2017 World Series

George Springer scoring a run, in Game 2 of the 2017 World Series

2017 World Series

The 113th World Series kicked off on, October 24, 2017. With the one to from the National League, and one from the American League. The National League would have homefield advantage for four of the seven games.

The 2017 World Series between the Los Angeles Dodgers and Houston Astros was an evenly fought seven game series. The two levelly matched teams sent the World Series into game seven on Halloween night. The Dodgers were seeking their first World Series win in 29 years. The Astros, in their 55 completed seasons, have never won a World Series.

The city of Houston suffered record flooding from Hurricane Harvey, the Astros started wearing patches with the word “Strong” along with the Astros logo. Astros manager A.J. Hinch said in an interview that the team wasn’t just playing for a title, but to help boost moral support for the city.

Game One of the World Series was won by the Dodgers on their home turf. Game Two was won by the Astros in the eleventh inning with a score of seven to six. Game Three also went to the Astros while the Dodgers bounced back to tie the series in Game Four. Game Five went to to the Astros at home with a walk-off single hit by Alex Bregman. Game Six was back in Los Angeles, and was won by the Dodgers. For two years in a row, the World Series has been sent into Game Seven.  With the series tied 3-3, the Astros turned to their all-star outfielder George Springer. George helped boost the Astros with a homerun in the early innings, that helped the Astros to their first World Series win in franchise history.

Game Seven was in Los Angeles at Dodger Stadium, the third oldest park in the MLB. Dodger Stadium holds 56,000 people. The 104 wins and 58 losses the Dodgers had this year, placed them in first place in the MLB, and even favored them to win the World Series. The Houston Astros had a record of 101-61, the Astros were the underdogs during the World Series, but that didn’t stop them The Dodgers ended up losing Game Seven, and the World Series with a final score of five to one. This was the Astros’ second World Series appearance since 2005, where they were swept up by the Chicago White Sox.

The World Series MVP was won by George Springer, a centerfielder for the Astros. The Connecticut native has played three full seasons with the Houston Astros. George took home a trophy, and the all new 2018 Chevy Silverado. The MVP presentation was followed up by an interview with Carlos Correa, where he proposed to his girlfriend Daniella Rodriguez. Daniella said yes, and the happy couple are expected to get married sometime next year.

The 2018 MLB season starts on March 29, 2018. With all 30 teams ready to compete for a World Series opportunity. All 162 games will be played throughout the summer months. Only the future knows who next year’s World Series Champions will be.