Ranger Volleyball Wins Consecutive State Title

Lady Rangers hold up state trophy after beating Valor in the finals.

Andrew Manney, Reporter

It is no surprise that for the last 5 years the volleyball team at Lewis-Palmer has dominated, the 2016 season came to a close with the team beating Holy Family for the State Championship, and nothing less was expected for the 2017 season.

And with the 2017 regular season over the rangers had nothing but a goal of a State Championship on their minds, “ to go undefeated, win Regionals, and to win State.” Aleyna Kennel 12 said. With these goals the Lady Rangers would stop at nothing to achieve them.

Going into the CHSAA Tournament the lady ranger were ranked 1st in the Pikes Peak League going 7-0 against league opponents and even more impressive they went 25-0 on the regular season.

They were ranked in at 4th in the nation, and had been put at number 1 in the state of Colorado headed into the tournament . They had four girls sign this past week before State, to play at the collegiate level. It is no shock that they have a talented team and had a good chance for a second consecutive title.

The state Tournament took place at the Denver Coliseum on November 10th and 11th, The lady rangers opened with two dominating wins over Roosevelt and Mullen high school, these two wins gave the lady rangers the 1st seed going into Saturday’s semi-final game against Niwot.

The semi-final game was thrilling as Lewis-Palmer lost their first set of the tournament but they rebounded and fought for a 3-1 win and snatching another State final game.

They met private school Valor Christian in the finals, the teams had played earlier in the season and the Rangers won, needless to say their confidence was high.

The game started off fast and the Valor Eagles had an early lead on the Rangers but senior Aleyna Kennel had a momentum changing dig that swung the game in the rangers favor. “ I was playing up close, and i never play up close, so it was nice to get the dub.” (Kennel 12)

The Rangers took the second set over the Eagles to go up 2-0 on the game, the third set was back and forth the whole time and went into a tie breaker where the team must win by two, the Eagles were fighting to keep the game alive but the Rangers relentless aggressive hits lead to their victory in set three.

The Lady Rangers finished their season with another State title to bring to Lewis-Palmer, and they have set yet again new standards for Colorado Volleyball.