Varsity hockey team celebrates senior night

Rebecca Crook

Alex Pierce 11 of Palmer Ridge High School faces off against Pueblo County. Lewis-Palmer Rangers lost 6-2 that night.

Holly Esposito, Ranger Review Reporter

On February 8, 2019, Lewis-Palmer’s varsity hockey team recognized their senior players, even though the team lost to Pueblo County 6-2. “We started out with a 2-0 lead, and we kind of just blew it after that. They got into our heads with penalties and stuff and we kind of just lost it after that,” Alex Keers 12 said.

The team holds a 7-8-1 standing so far this season, as they are currently third in their league. “We’ve had some ups and downs, but I think we’ve improved a lot over the season,” Lily Parmeter 12 said.

The Lewis-Palmer hockey team scored the first 2 goals of the game, but were unable to keep the lead. “I feel like I didn’t make quite the impact that I wanted to, we had a lot of guys out and I had to step up, but I didn’t perform as I wanted to,” Keers said.

According to Jack Sheffield 12, the game on Friday didn’t help the team going further into the season. “I’m out, so that hurts our numbers a little bit, and we’re already shallow on numbers, but it definitely does take us out of the chance to win conference title.” The team is working to make it to playoffs this season.

The hockey team has nine seniors on the team this season: Andrew Hoffman, Josh Pierce, Jared Piggot, Wyatt Hopkins, Alex Keers, Jack Sheffield, Lily Parmeter, Soren Cooley, and Rivera Sebastian. Each senior has played on varsity for at least two years of his or her high school career.

Throughout the season, Sheffield feels like he has improved his game individually. “I had a few bad games, but otherwise I mean I felt pretty good, I felt like I improved my game and I’ve gotten stronger. I feel like a better hockey player overall this year.”

Lewis-Palmer’s hockey team will compete against Cheyenne Mountain for their next game and Battle Mountain for their final regular season game. “Our main goal is to make it to playoffs,” Parmeter said.