Seniors dodged the bullets

Jonathan Scott runs up to grab a dodge ball at the beginning of a match.

Hannah Brigante

Hannah Brigante, Ranger Review Reporter

As dodgeballs flew through the gym on September 21, the homecoming extravaganzas began with the dodgeball tournament at seven o’clock that night. Five teams competed for the title of dodgeball champions at Lewis-Palmer High School on Monday night.

The competitive team called the American Joes consisted of 6 seniors at Lewis-Palmer. The team did not have any specific strategy for the dodge ball game.

“We decided to wing it, but we wanted to take out the younger classmen with the best arms first, kids like Kevin Tims” Paul Tillotson, 12, said.

As the night rolled on the competition was heated, but that did not stop the American Joes from finishing what they started. They rose above all other competitors and claimed their victory.

“I felt excited and overwhelmed with emotion,” Kyle Owens, 12, said.

The team’s win had brought a new excitement into the air, as the crowd cheered for American Joes. The team faced four different teams, and still came out on the top.

“I was excited because the games were very intense and I was finally able to relax at the end of the games.” Charlie Hovasse, 12,  said. “It was an exciting experience because I got to play with all of my friends.”

Even though only one group could take the title, all the other teams showed their support for the American Joes in a brief celebration together. As the shouts died off, the American Joes continued to celebrate among themselves.

“I felt excited because I’m a senior and I wanted to put the underclassmen in their place,” Tillotson, 12, said.
The dodgeball tournament for this year’s homecoming week came to an end with the senior dodgeball team finishing on top. Although the other teams were sad about their defeat they still showed their support to the American Joes.

American Joes team standing with pride after their victory over the other teams. Starting from the left: Sam Strasburger, Paul Tillotson, Michael Butler, Jonathan Scott, Kyle Owens, and Charlie Hovasse.
Hannah Brigante
American Joes team standing with pride after their victory over the other teams.
Starting from the left: Sam Strasburger, Paul Tillotson, Michael Butler,
Jonathan Scott, Kyle Owens, and Charlie Hovasse.
The teams are waiting on their side of the court as they wait to start the game.
Hannah Brigante