Wednesday night showdown

A great night of powder puff football lead to a win by the junior team.

Annie Ackerman

Annie Ackerman, Ranger Review Reporter

Homecoming week is the one of the most exciting weeks of the school year at Lewis-Palmer High School, filled with  competitive athletics, fun after school events, and celebrations.

On a heated and windy Wednesday night, September 23, 2015 during homecoming week, came the much anticipated Juniors vs. Seniors Powderpuff football game, preceded by a student-run piñata bash.

A powderpuff game is a reverse football game where the girls compete and the football team players cheer for and coach the girls.

Two members of the junior team jumped the fence to the field.
Annie Ackerman

“Freshman year, I was the only freshman on a team of junior. I really enjoy football and wanted to be on a team with people my age,” Mikayla Stwertnik, 11, said. “This year it was fun to be on a team with all my friends.”

Though their uniform was a simple t-shirts and shorts, the athletes were fierce. They had only had about fifteen minutes of practice before the game began, and for some, it was the first time they had ever passed a football.

Ochoanco fashioned her senior jersey.
Annie Ackerman
Ochocinco fashioned her senior jersey.

As the game had worn on, it took an unexpected turn when the juniors took the lead with several touchdowns by Sammy Kisowski.

“Any time we were on offense, it was really intense. We weren’t expecting to win because most years the seniors win.” Stwertnik recalled.

The junior team huddles together to plan their next move.
Annie Ackerman

The juniors won the game 28 to 22. It made for an exciting change, considering the seniors often win the annual  powderpuff games.There were about seventeen seniors on the senior team, up against only nine on the junior team. The odds were not in their favor, but with amazing passes, speed, and many touchdowns, the junior team left the field victorious.

“It was really nerve wracking, actually. I definitely had my doubts and I was not expecting to win.” Addison Dimarcio,  11, said.

Before the powderpuff game came the piñata bash, a student-run event intended to ramp up school spirit. Any student could come in anytime from six to seven p.m. and pay one dollar per swing at the piñata. The swinger was blindfolded and the piñatas’ fate had lie in their hands. The candy spilled out on the floor and the students scrambled to collect their share of the goods.

Candy spilled to the floor after a piñata was smashed.
Annie Ackerman

“With being in Student Council, we’re trying really hard to ramp up school spirit.” Aubrey Abbott, 10, Student Council member said.

This is something that the piñata bash accomplished very well. The students were cheering at every swing. Everyone who attended this year’s homecoming events are looking forward to next year’s extravaganzas.