Students find their faith through FCA

Macayla Trottner, Ranger Review Editor

Every week a group of Lewis-Palmer High School students host a gathering called FCA. This group stands for Fellowship of Christian Athletes and they meet to discuss God and how they can withhold God while they participate in school sports. There is plenty of food, games and welcoming arms.

“We are focusing back on sports more this year and how we can keep faith during our practices and games. I think it is so important to have a relationship with God and be able to go to him when times are tough, especially in sports. It is something I look forward to every Monday and it always puts me in a better mood,” Shelby Heins, 12, said.

Heins is a regular at FCA and is always trying to spread the word about FCA and all of wonderful things it offers. The group meets on Monday nights at Mikayla Stwertnik’s house around 7.

“I really like how convenient everything is. It is always at the same place and time so that makes it easy to be held accountable for going. Plus I like how the kids are all from Lewis- Palmer so that makes it less scary and I don’t feel like I am alone,” Kaitlyn Lewis, 12, said.

The FCA program is a combination of Lewis-Palmer students of all grades. The variety of ages and gender provide a multitude of perspectives to discuss at the gatherings.

“We all go to Lewis-Palmer so it is really nice to see such familiar faces. Some of the people that are there I’ve never talked to though so it is cool to make new friends that share the same faith as me and are all very genuine people,” Heins said.

FCA is a place for Bible study, worship, games and conversation about God. Friendships that last a lifetime are built during these Monday night Bible studies.
“I love how welcoming and open everyone is,” Heins said. “It is a great place to meet people and build friendships that will help you every single day because they know what you are going through and will pray with you.”