One stroke at a time

Jessica Stokes, Ranger Review Reporter

The Lewis-Palmer High School swimming pre-season has just begun, and the girls are ready to make it to the top. With a great coach and fantastic captain, nothing is going to get in their way.

“The pre-season is going very well,” Carmen Bowen, 9, said. “We have about 15 people showing up to practices. I think we are going to have a good competition season.”

Head Coach, Jackie Cromer, feels the girls are going to have a strong season this year because of her strong team, which is full of good breaststrokers and strong distance swimmers.

“We are going to do well against conference teams.This year we have a few meets against teams in Denver which might be harder to win,” Cromer said.  “I hope to win all of the conference duels and place 3rd in relays at state.”  

Head captain Andie Turner, 12, feels the same way. “I haven’t been able to come to any practices yet, but from what I’ve heard it’s going really well.”

Turner has been volunteering at the YMCA for about 3 months, but she said she will definitely need to take a step back once the competition season starts.

“I think we are going to do very well this season,” Turner said. “Last year we placed 12th at state and this year we are hoping for top 5.”

The girls are training hard for pre-season and ready to bring home the gold this season.  
“It’s hard,” Bowen said, “But in the end it’s all worth it.”