Setting up students for the future through politics

Sophie Artley

Students perform their campaign commercials.

Sophie Artley, Ranger Review Reporter

In room 314, Honors Civics students at Lewis Palmer High School are learning all about politics, from small third parties to the two big main parties. It’s a classroom lesson that will impact every student taking the course.

If a student was to mention Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton, thousands of opinions and facts could be said about either from hundreds of different people, but what the students get to learn in that civics class is what real politics are about. Students were able to take a survey to see what political parties they might lean towards, were able to debate over some issues real politicians talk about, and could create campaign ads for different parties.

“I got to learn about different parties, and how each party has an affect on our government,” Elysia Glowacz , 9, said.

Students get to learn about their own political views, what different parties have to offer, and the history of political parties. Involving the country’s youth in politics is never a bad idea, and actually sets them up for the future. In the 2012 elections, out of all the eligible voters this country has, only 58.2% of voters actually voted. That means about 93 million citizens didn’t vote in the 2012 elections. If our country can get the the younger generations involved in politics, that percentage of voters may go up.

It is the adults in the younger generation’s lives jobs’ to get them excited about what’s happening in the world of politics. So it’s the teachers like Mrs. Coates [ a teacher at Lewis- Palmer] who is getting students more involved in politics, and help prepare our country for future elections that will take place.

“It was a fun way to learn about all the political views, and all the different things you can go into when you can vote,” Glowacz said.

So maybe we haven’t lost all hope on grabbing the country’s youth’s attention on politics, and maybe there is a possibility that in the 2016 and 2020 elections the voter turnout will increase.

One of those voters definitely will be Glowacz, after being asked if she would vote when she turned 18 she said, “Definitely, so I can make a difference in this country and be able to express my political views.”