Dress Code Violation

This is the outfit that Carey Burgess.

Carey Burgess

This is the outfit that Carey Burgess.

Sydney Lewis, Ranger Review Reporter

Last year, Lewis-Palmer High School introduced a revised set of rules to the school’s dress code. Some of the new regulations included: no shirts bearing skin beneath the collarbone, no leggings, no tank tops without an overshirt, and no pants with rips above the mid- thigh. For more details, the dress code in its entirety can be found on the Lewis-Palmer High School website. http://www.lphs.lewispalmer.org/modules/search/search.php?sessionid=d5c6168f605fd24d44a3b50ac1e68611&sessionid=d5c6168f605fd24d44a3b50ac1e68611&query=dress+code .

Many Lewis-Palmer High School students were upset with the new rules. A facebook page was even made in protest of the dress code. One of the issues that students had with the dress code was that the new rules were mainly focused on restricting the clothing options of girls, with very few of the rules applying to the male population at Lewis-Palmer.

Recently, Beaufort High School, located in South Carolina, has also had students speak out against their dress code. Specifically Carey Burgess, 12, after she was dress coded for wearing a skirt that was deemed to be too short by a school administrator. When confronted by the administrator she was instructed to go to in school suspension, and go home because of what she was wearing.

Later that day Burgess made a facebook post with pictures of what she was wearing and a description of her interpretation of the situation.

Upon viewing the picture that Burgess posted: “Her skirt is down to her knees. It is ridiculous that she got sent home,” said Lauren Gardner, 11, a student at Lewis-Palmer High School.

Lewis-Palmer’s campus supervisor, Jan Pieper, was surprised that Burgess was dress coded for what she was wearing in the picture.

“Looking at this picture I would not have dress coded her,” Pieper said.

The school administrator at Beaufort High School whom dress coded Burgess, said that what Burgess was wearing in the picture that she posted on social media, would have been appropriate for school.

During school, however, she had rolled her skirt up to make it shorter, which is why she was dress coded. Pieper said, that if that were the case, which she believed that it was, that she would have told her to roll her skirt down, but would not have gone so far as to send her home.

The purpose of dress code is to create an educational environment for students. While it has good intentions, dress codes do not always have a positive impact on their students.

“Everyone’s perception is different and if a girl gets dress coded then she is, in a way, going to think less of herself,” said Isaac Colby ,11. “I think that goes to say that dress coding should be a little less strict.”

Dress codes are being ridiculed by students across the nation. Seeing as they are not going to be going away anytime soon, however, students will have to continue to be restricted by the rules. Campus supervisor Jan Pieper’s advice for students trying to decide what to wear was: “Be appropriate and respect yourself.”