Preparing for Heart’s Day

Melaney Cook, Ranger Review Reporter

With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, students and faculty at Lewis-Palmer High School are finishing their preparations for the holiday and some people are contemplating the meaning of Valentine’s Day as it approaches.

“I think Valentine’s Day is about celebrating the people you love and how much you love them. It’s also about making your best friends feel loved even if they don’t have a boyfriend or girlfriend. You don’t have to have a valentine for Valentine’s Day. You should just do what makes you happy,” Jenna Szilagyi, 9, said.

Szilagyi loves to spend time with the people she loves and she likes to make them feel special. She also thinks that Valentine’s Day can single people out who do not have a valentine. Brett Lester, physical education and social studies teacher, disagrees with the notion that a person has to fall in love to have a good Valentine’s Day.

“Valentine’s Day is about celebrating love, but it’s also a time to reflect on your life and what you are grateful for. Don’t force love. If it’s meant to be then it’s meant to be and it will happen. You should just wait for it to happen,” Lester said.

Around Valentine’s Day, many people like Taylor Buckley, 9, and Noah Crider, 9, are celebrating their anniversaries whether it is just a month or a year. People are getting their presents and surprises ready for their loved ones. Lester decided to get his wife a stress reliever massage and he also wanted to spend some time alone with her since he has not been able to since his 8 week old son was born.

“I’m getting a present for my mom and nana. I’m hoping to get them cards and maybe a box of chocolate. I’ll probably get Noah a box of chocolate or a card,” Buckley said.

Greg Bunch, 46,  giving Elaina Bunch, 37, a flower plant for Valentine's Day.
Melaney Cook
Greg Bunch, 46, giving Elaina Bunch, 37, a flower plant for Valentine’s Day.

Everyone has had their best Valentine’s Day and their worst Valentine’s Day. Buckley and Szilagyi both remember in elementary school where everyone goes around with valentine’s that they have for everyone and put them in a shoe box that was decorated individually.

“I love the gifts you give and receive on Valentine’s Day. I’ve gotten a humongous teddy bear, candy, a popcorn machine, new volleyball knee pads and lot of love from my friends. I give people a ton of presents like candy, stuffed animals and a picture of a memory from when we were younger,” Szilagyi said.
As Valentine’s Day comes up on February 14, people across America are getting their preparations finalized for the romantic holiday. Everyone is excited to see what this Valentine’s Day holds with their friends and families.