Shivers Before the Curtain Drops

Carson+Schlem+preforming+his+monologue+for+auditions.++

Cate Mitchell

Carson Schlem preforming his monologue for auditions.

Cate Mitchell, Ranger Review Reporter

As the spring play auditions approached the thespians of Lewis-Palmer High School, the performers were anxious to battle for a role. Auditioning, defined by Macee Hall, 12, is like a highly intense interview.

“Auditions are definitely more nerve-racking than the actual performance because during the play you know that you have the part and you know that you have it down,” Hall said.

The Drama students prepared their monologues for auditions and each had high hopes of receiving a callback. Each actor is different in the ways that he or she prepares his or her monologue; some will begin practicing four months ahead of time, and others will be learning the lines within twenty-four hours of the audition.

“I picked mine out yesterday, and the auditions are tomorrow. I am kind of that person who is like ‘Let’s go right now, I’m going to remember this monologue in an hour’” Karlie Asman, 10, said.

The requirement for an audition is two monologues that are under forty-five seconds each to meet the required two minutes. Though is it not required, the monologues usually contrast each other so that the director can tell which character would be best portrayed by each actor and which actor has the ability to portray a wide range of emotions.

“I think it is hard because you are up there all by yourself. I feel like if you were doing a scene with somebody else it wouldn’t be so hard, but a monologue is all on you. That is terrifying because if you mess up it is all you,” McCan said.

Hollyann McCan preforming her monologue for the audition.
Cate Mitchell

The auditions are open to any Lewis-Palmer student whether he or she participates in Drama Club or not. This allows a bigger pool of potential actors that have the ability to take on the play’s character roles.

“Auditions are a clean slate for everybody because if Mr. Clark only picked the kids in drama class or drama club, then the acting pool would be narrowed down,” Carson Schlem, 9, said. “It’s like trying out for a sports team. If you and your friend tried out for the basketball team, and your friend did not make the team, you would feel upset for them but still happy that you are on the team. Theater is cut throat.”

Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens, has been chosen as this year’s spring play. Charles Dickens is known for creating pieces that focus on humanist philosophy, and for that reason, some of the cast believes that this show will be difficult due to all of the intricate characters.

“I feel like the old saying ‘Talent gets you in the door, but practice keeps you there’ really applies to theater, because there has to be an initial amount of talent to get you up here” Carson Schlem.