New student adjusts to playing on Lewis-Palmer’s reputable hockey team

Wiatt+Brunners+hockey+equipment+

Wiatt Brunner’s hockey equipment

Chesarae Jacobson, Ranger Review Reporter

At Lewis-Palmer, hockey is a favorite winter sport amongst students. Even those who are not involved with the sport, find the team’s strength and determination intimidating. For Wiatt Brunner, a hopeful new member of the team, the pressure to succeed is a little overwhelming.

As a Utah native, Brunner is not accustomed to the level of energy that comes along with playing on the LPHS hockey team. The atmosphere is clearly different from what he is used to.

“My favorite part of playing hockey is when I get to hit and stop the other team. I love being able to help my team out by not letting the other team score and the feeling of a win. One of my best moments was when I hit a kid and I broke his ribs. I broke another guy’s arm because he crossed into my zone,” junior Wiatt Brunner, said.

“At the beginning it was harder to get used to the intensity of the team’s devotion to the sport. For me it was a reality check because this school takes the sport really seriously, but in Utah it was just a hobby,” Brunner said.

Hockey is not only a priority to him now, but he also intends to pursue a career in the National Hockey League sometime in the near future.

“I want to earn my ability to play in the NHL, and if all else fails I would love to be a sportscaster too,” Brunner said.

Brunner began playing hockey in in seventh grade. It was then he realized it was the sport for him, and it was what he loved most.

Brunner shows potential for a sport that requires so much commitment. There is no doubt that he is going places in the future. Perhaps he will have his Lewis-Palmer coaches to thank.