Multi-faceted events at Lewis-Palmer

Lewis-Palmer basketball players getting ready to block a Palmer Ridge player.

Veronica Meredith, Ranger Review Reporter

On Wednesday, January 28, the whole of Lewis-Palmer campus was abuzz with activity. From the UNC Wind Ensemble playing in the orchestra pit, to the stand selling Chick-fil-A products alongside the school’s usual fare, to the centerpiece of the Lewis-Palmer vs Palmer Ridge basketball game. Excitement reigned supreme.

In the auditorium, a concert held by the University of Colorado’s Wind Ensemble was hosted. UNC did a tour over the course of three days at Lewis-Palmer, Liberty High School and Cheyenne Mountain High School, playing such songs as “Awakening” by Marcus Hatfield and “The Melody Shop, March” by Karl King. UNC’s orchestra collaborated with district 12’s 6th grade orchestra at Lewis-Palmer, garnering an audience made up of both older and younger people from all over district 12.

At the basketball game, the stands were filled to the brim with LP and  PR students as well as teachers and parents who came out to support their Rangers and Bears. Wild cheering for their respective teams and booing their rivals occurred after some of the more impressive plays. In the end, Lewis-Palmer came out on top for both the girls and boys, with final scores of 56-22 and 56-44, respectively.

The Chick-fil-A meals sold during the game honored a tradition that started last year during another LP vs. PR game. Chick-fil-A’s signature chicken sandwiches along with chips and a drink were the fare. At the head of the stand was Marlene Schulz, a volunteer from Palmer Ridge.

“The food is here again this year to sort of unite our communities over something we have in common,” Schulz said.