‘The Odd Couple’ to be Lewis-Palmer’s next theater production

Mr. Clark works with student actors for their roles in The Odd Couple.

Drew MacFarlane

Mr. Clark works with student actors for their roles in ‘The Odd Couple.’

Drew MacFarlane, Ranger Review Reporter

Coming off of the inspired performance of Oklahoma, the Lewis-Palmer theater department is putting together a new play – The Odd Couple. The basic premise of the play is that two divorced men, Oscar and Felix, must learn to live with each other as roommates despite their striking differences. Felix is nearly obsessive in his need for cleanliness and order, while Oscar is his polar opposite – untidy and disorderly. The second cast, with two girls as the lead roles, follows a similar plot, with Florence embodying Felix’s character, and Olive embodying Oscar’s.

The audition experience for The Odd Couple differed from previous productions due to the inclusion of these two casts, with a greater opportunity for students to attain roles. Auditionees recited two monologues, hoping for roles as actors, stage managers, or for some other involvement in the production.

With these recent auditions already completed and callbacks sent out, production for the play is already underway. A few things are going to be different this time, with the addition of student directors, and performances by two separate casts. The male-lead cast will open on the 23rd and 25th of April, while the female-lead cast will open on the 22nd and 24th. That leaves theater teacher Mr. Clark and the theater department roughly four weeks to prepare for the opening nights.

“I’m especially excited about having two different casts. That gives more students the opportunities to have these roles, and is making for a more unique directing experience,” Clark said.

The Odd Couple is the first play under the direction of Clark to feature two casts as well as student directors, who assist Clark with the director’s duties of the production.

“I’m really happy about the opportunities that students have for The Odd Couple – all of the characters in the play have really fun roles, which makes for a very funny production,” Clark said.

The Odd Couple promises to be another inspired addition to Lewis-Palmer’s line of plays, with a greater casting base than ever, fun characters, and a unique production experience that will bring the play to Lewis-Palmer students next month.