Volleyball coming back for their last seasonal set

Sydney Lewis, Ranger Review Reporter

Varsity players Nicole Mack and Kess Krutsinger stand ready while Chaparrel serves.
Sydney Lewis

On October 27, the Lewis- Palmer Lady Rangers volleyball team played their last seasonal volleyball game against Chaparral High School. This game was important not only because it was their last seasonal game, but also because it was the team’s first game after a loss to their biggest rival, Cheyenne Mountain High School.

“We are extra extra motivated, everyone is going way harder in practice now, and I think that we needed that. That loss is going to motivate us,” said Elizabeth Reich, 11.

Player number 7, Elizabeth Reich serves the ball.
Sydney Lewis

With this extra dose of motivation the girls went into the game against Chaparral with an open mind, relying on hard work and a positive attitude to drive them through. This game was not critical to the team’s qualification for the postseason, however, the girls still wanted to play a good game.

“We just want to finish this last part of the normal season with a bang. We need momentum going into regionals and state,” said Michaela Putnicki, 11.

The Lewis- Palmer Lady Rangers stand huddle around coach Susan Odenbaugh.
Sydney Lewis

And out with a bang they went, winning 3 out of the 5 sets played, for an overall game win. A brief celebration took place after the game, then the girls gathered as a team.

The week following this game was strictly devoted to practicing for regionals. In order for the girls to make it to state they had to win their two regional games. With a 6-1 record the girls are determined to redeem themselves in a rematch with Cheyenne Mountain at state.

Nicole Mack 12', waits for Chaparrel to serve.
Sydney Lewis
Nicole Mack 12′, waits for Chaparrel to serve.

“We know what we need to do to improve, and we are really excited,” said Putnicki, “hopefully we will get to play Cheyenne Mountain at state.”

The girls competed in regionals this past Saturday at Lewis-Palmer High School. They battled Littleton and Pueblo West and defeated both teams. They are now one step closer to a state title.