Girl’s Lacrosse Dominates the Field

Nikki Clark, Ranger Review Reporter

On Thursday, March 10, the girls’ Varsity Lacrosse team had a match against the Grandview Wolves. Palmer Ridge’s team dominated the field and beat the Wolves 15-9.

“Last night was our first game together and it felt pretty good because we’ve only had a couple official practices so it’s exciting to see with more practices how well we can actually get to know one another and get to know how each other plays. Our games are going to be great. We’ve got really good players this year,” Megan Res,12, said.

The lacrosse team plays about one game a week and practices every weekday after school at Palmer Ridge. Seniors and fourth-year players Megan Res and Mary Koch lead the team as captains.

“We practice everyday from 3:30-5:30/6. Our last scheduled game will be May 5.  It all depends on if we go to playoffs, but we’ll probably practice until like mid-May,” Res said.

Each girl plays about two positions each. One for attack, which is offense, and one for defense.

“I play center and defense. So the center takes the draw, and it’s like your center and midfield so you play attack and defense. And when you’re defense, you just play defense,” Res said.

“I play attack and midfield. Attack is where you score the goals, it’s offense. Midfield, you get to play the whole field and you play defense,” Wolfe said.

Although both the Lewis Palmer and Palmer Ridge students play on the team, the team is categorized as being a Palmer Ridge team, because when there is not enough people from one of the two schools to create a full team, they combine. Lewis-Palmer takes the combined boys’ teams and girls’ swimming, while Palmer Ridge takes the combined girls’ teams. Because of this, the lacrosse girls from Lewis-Palmer end up wearing Palmer Ridge clothing to school on game days.

“I know that there’s not a lot of girls that decide to try out for lacrosse. So that’s why they make it a combined team. I don’t know how they decide whether it’s Palmer Ridge or Lewis-Palmer. It feels really odd because I get shunned when I wear Palmer Ridge stuff to school. But we’re supposed to for our game,” Wolfe said.

All high school sports teams likes to start off the year by making personal and team goals. Last year the girls’ lacrosse team made it to the first round of playoffs. This year they want to make it just as far and work on being an unbeatable team.

“We really want to work on communicating together, and we want to get better at double-teaming. Which is basically just working together. We’ll work on our defensive and offensive plays, but we really want to be conditioning to get better in order to be an unbeatable team,” Res said.

When it comes to being on a team, there can sometimes be drama within that team. Just because they see each other probably more than they see their own family and friends. Girls lacrosse, however, strives to avoid that problem.

“We have a lot of potential. It was awesome to see how we worked together. We work together really well and I’m really excited to see how we can grow together for the season,” Res said.

Overall, the girls’ lacrosse team has a lot of potential leading them into their season. Their goals are set high and their main focus for the beginning of the season is to work on communicating. They’re excited to see if they’ll get farther than they did last year, and they have the mindset to do it.