LP volleyball takes state again

The+LP+Volleyball+Team+smiles+for+the+camera+after+they+won+the+State+Championship.+

The LP Volleyball Team smiles for the camera after they won the State Championship.

Rebecca Crook, Ranger Review Reporter

The most recent sports news is on yet another major win for Lewis-Palmer High School: this year’s volleyball players are continuing Lewis-Palmer’s 4 year winning streak at state competitions.

On the day of the state competition, the cafeteria showed the game on the televisions, so students were able to watch the sets. The whole school was especially supportive of the team when the team got back from securing their spot at the top of the State.

“When we got that last block at State, I didn’t really have any thoughts, it was more of just everybody was yelling and we all dog-piled,” Emily Coe 10 said. “I thought about how hard we worked to get there and we finally did it.”

The team practiced 2 hours a day, 5 days a week, and competed in weekend practice tournaments as well, according to Norman.

“Our team put in a lot of time and energy. We just worked our butts off,” Coe said. Coach Odenbaugh or ‘Odie’ as the team calls her, is the coach for this season.

Both players mentioned that the team has had many team bonding experiences before the State championship. “We didn’t have practice one day, so we all went on a hike on a Friday, and that was super fun. We then went out to the Coffee Cup afterwards and talked a whole bunch about what the senior pranks should be and traditions we were going to make,” Norman said.

This win is not like any other continuation onto the winning streak because that this year was very special to them. “This is the last year that we’ll have our three seniors who we love very much, together; so we wanted to make it really cherishable.” said Coe.

Coe described a more sensitive experience that the team got through together. “When my brother passed away, everybody came together. We say ‘play for Gavin’ and everyone would remember when we were getting down and say ‘Hey, we’re playing for Gavin’ “ Coe mentioned that this was one of the best memories she has of the team coming together.

“If you really want it, just strive for it. Do everything that you can, give more than 100%. Make sure to help others out, help them achieve their goals and you’ll get the same back from them.” Coe  said. Norman also gave similar advice by adding “I would tell someone who is reaching for their goal to never give up and just keep putting all the effort they can into it.”