The Lewis-Palmer Wrestling Team is Preparing for Success

Donnivan Cox, Ranger Review Reporter

“Wrestling is a great way to get fit, discipline yourself and have fun and get involved in extracurricular activities.” said coach Hannon from Lewis-Palmer High School.

Hannon is the head coach of the wrestling team. In every sport you have to practice and wrestling here at lewis-Palmer you start off by doing some “Tumbling” which Hannon said is “ forward rolls, backward rolls to cartwheels to hand springs to backward handsprings and backflips and then advance to doing those “tumbling” skills over other people.”

This is to help work on body control and work on spatial awareness as wrestlers. “A general role in athletics is if someone can control their body and where their body is in space they can be a decent athlete.”

Wrestlers practice five days out of a week, six if they don’t have a meet and practice at three fifteen to five thirty on most of the days.

In wrestling, teams are ranked by individuals and if you place in the top few, you earn your team points. The more team members that get ranked, the better your team will do overall.

As of now, lewis-Palmer is not ranked on the wrestling leaderboard but do have a few guys with potential to earn some points. The top wrestler for Lewis-Palmer as of now is Tanner Hunt 11 who is a returning two time state qualifier and should hopefully place this year again.

Out of all the schools in competition with lewis-Palmer, Pueblo County is at the top. “Pueblo is ranked in the the top twenty in the nation and have about seven guys that could be in the state finals which is pretty ridiculous.” Hannon said.

The wrestling team is working towards ranking day by day and been having fun striving for that goal and will continue to have fun no matter the outcome.