Coffee for the high schoolers

Coffee+grinds.

Melanie Peterson

Coffee grinds.

Melanie Peterson, Ranger Review Reporter

As the sparkling white flecks of ice and water fall from the sky and stick to the ground, students crave warm beverages to keep them warm on those cold winter days. The only thing better than hot chocolate is… coffee.

Lewis-Palmer High School students are feeling bitter-sweet about their limited drinking choices. Coca-Cola, Pepsi and Vitamin Waters are the main drinks that are sold. Caffeinated drinks are not sold at the school because the school board believes caffeine is incredibly unhealthy for teenagers.

“I feel like the school should provide coffee or give us the opportunity to buy it, which would be a convenience to many of the students, to have coffee at the school,” Brooke Town, 11, said.

Especially with finals coming up, it would be great to have coffee sold at the school, to help keep the exhausted teenage minds awake.

Being held up at school and having to deal with those everyday problems, is stressful enough, but not having the caffeinated drinks that keep students’ awake? Even more difficult.

The food that is sold at lunch time and in-between classes, is definitely not choices that will keep students healthy and awake. Caffeine is scientifically proven to help people concentrate and do better in normal everyday activities, such as school and work.

Will the school finally agree to give in on the demands of their ever so cooperative students?