Ranger Review

Boys basketball crushes rivals at home

Lewis-Palmer+varsity+boys+basketball+team+huddles+on+the+court+before+the+rivalry+game+against+Palmer+Ridge.+The+Rangers+won+69-38+against+the+Bears.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Boys basketball crushes rivals at home

Lewis-Palmer varsity boys basketball team huddles on the court before the rivalry game against Palmer Ridge. The Rangers won 69-38 against the Bears.

Shelby Patton, Ranger Review Reporters

On January 16th, 2019, The boys varsity basketball team challenged Palmer Ridge at Lewis-Palmer High School at 7pm. At the end of the game, the score was 69-38 with Lewis-Palmer taking the win and adding another game to their undefeated year.

“I am nervous because we took an ‘L’ to them last year,” Loren Phillips 12 said before the game. “There’s definitely more energy I guess nerves can come into play sometimes but other than that were mainly focused about the game, ourselves, or our coach.”

Due to the rivalry the stands have been packed in the past games and a lot more students show up to support their team.  Zoey Barron 10 shared “that the crowd doesn’t necessarily affect the teams playing but it might make them a little nervous due to more eyes being on them.”

Many of the team members said that the student section has been known for their chanting back and forth. This can be distracting for players and can lead to stress during the game

Tre McCullough 12 said “The crowd makes it hard to hear things but it’s funny because I don’t hear the chants until the next day when I’m watching film”

Due to the crowds being so large at these games, the team members stated that their coaches told them not to worry.

Our coach said that “it’s just another game on the schedule and we’re just trying to get another ‘W’” Joel Scott 12 said.

“I would say this is one of the most hyped-up games by the stands, other than the state championship,” Phillips said about the Palmer Ridge vs Lewis-Palmer game.

However, some of the other players stated that the game vs. Chaparral was biggest. Despite their appearance in big games throughout the season, the varsity basketball team still has to face the pressure and challenges that come with these games.

“Our team has learned to handle the pressures of games like this,” McCullough stated. “And coach is just stressing to us that this is only another game on our schedules and not to circle it on the calendar or prepare differently for it.”