Unwrapping Prom expenses

Many students chose to shop at dress boutiques in order to assure that their dress is unique despite the extra expense.

Lauren Manney, Ranger Review Reporter

Throughout the nation, Prom has become a rite of passage and an American tradition looked forward to by nearly all teenagers. However, what once started as a formal dance which allowed teens to celebrate the nearing of graduation, has escalated into become a somewhat extravagant event.
According to “Money.CNN.com” parents are still paying over half of the bill of Prom costs. West coast families are expecting to spend the most, at an average of $1,125, while Midwestern families will spend the least at an average $835, according to a survey taken in April 2014.
The question many people are asking is simply, why has Prom become so expensive?
The answer appears to have several different factors adding to the rising costs of this dance. The first being parent contributions. Many parents view Prom as a rite of passage and aim to give their child a memorable experience. With the pressure to stand out, the prices of “unique” or “specially made” dresses have gone up quite significantly with prices ranging into the thousands. On top of that, many girls also purchase spray tans, jewelry, professionally done hair and makeup, and shoes. Girls are not the only ones paying heavily to look great. The average tuxedo rental cost from the popular “Men’s Warehouse” ranges between $100-$300. Aside from the outfits, most students rent limos which can cost several hundred dollars.
Other costs include Prom tickets (which range depending on venue but on average cost over $50 for a pair), dinner, and “after-Prom” events.
Despite this high bill, Prom is still an event that most students chose to partake in. Of course not all students spend quite the same amount of money as others, choosing to stick to a budget and go for cheaper options.
But whatever the case, Prom is meant to be a memorable experience that one should seriously consider participating in.