Ceramics students’ decorations at after prom

The paper mache cacti that will be featured at after prom.

Veronica Meredith, Ranger Review Reporter

Ms. Crow, an art teacher at Lewis-Palmer, ceramics students have graced many Lewis-Palmer dances with their creations. Over the past eight years, different art students have contributed both class time and their free time to helping to create the decorations at school functions. Whether at Homecoming or the Snowball, the artwork never fails to impress.

This semester’s projects were done during class, study hall, free periods or art club on the weekends. For after prom this year, some of Ms. Crow’s students made paper mache cacti to fit the Western theme.

The materials used for the life-sized pieces were weighed down water bottles, cardboard, chicken wire, insulation, tissue paper, paper mache and acrylic paint. Altogether, the cacti took about 7 weeks to make. The delay of prom due to weather conditions didn’t affect the process as the cacti were already done and stowed away.

“Making these decorations increases student involvement,” Ms. Crow said. “Not all of the art students go to prom, but they still get to participate in the school activity this way.”
Attendees of after prom can look forward to having the atmosphere set with the cacti that  the art students collaborated for so long to make.