Build, Train, Compete, the Bearbotics Way

Brendan Weyand and Josiah Burr, LP Bearbotics

Brennan Lee, Ranger Review Reporter

Monday through Saturday, a team of critical thinkers and problem solvers meet to build and program robots to compete against others in a specific set of objectives. The team, based out of Palmer Ridge High School, is home to some Lewis-Palmer Rangers as well.

The “Bearbotics” is focused on developing the students STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) knowledge. STEM is a system which is trying to help students find jobs in a new innovative world.

Every year there is a theme for what type of robot that should be built. Along with the tasks that it has to be able to complete. Last year the theme was steampunk where the robot had to climb a rope, shoot objects ten feet into the air, and mount gears.

Josiah Burr 10 was on the team last year and is going to stay on it this year as well. He gave some comments on their robot last year. “It didn’t do very good last year, but in the years past it has done much better,” Burr 10 said.

Every year they build two robots, one for practicing with, and one for the actual competition. They figure out kinks and work out problems with the practice one before the competition.

Brendan Weyand 10 is another Ranger who attends Bearbotics. “We build a robot within six weeks then we compete with it against other robots.” Weyand 10 said. He, like Burr, is a second year attendee with the program.

They meet from five to eight pm on weekdays, and on Saturdays from ten to four. The meetings are held at Grace Best Elementary School.

They are currently in preseason, trying to hone their skills before their new season starts. After learning from last year they hope to do better this year.

The Bearbotics team is filled with very STEM educated students. It leads students and helps students with their futures. For students that plan on getting into a STEM related job, the Bearbotics team is for them.