Options that last

Vaughn Bassett, Editor

Vaughn Bassett, Ranger Review Editor

Lewis-Palmer offers a myriad of opportunities to a very diverse student body. For the artistic, we have various clubs, a drama program that puts on performances twice a year meant for outgoing individuals, sports for the athletic and clubs that help enrich a student’s academic lifestyle. What about an opportunity for students that struggle in their academics, though? Well, that is where the D-38 Options Alternative Program comes in.

“The Options program is for students who need a unique approach to their education,” Brian Barkey said. Brian Barkey is a teacher for the options program and has been there for the program for the past twelve years.

“We receive students from all walks of life and it offers a very interesting teaching experience. We make it our objective to get to the hearts of all students and understand the best way to teach them and I think that is the biggest draw to the program,” Barkey said.

Unlike standard school, the options program utilizes a four class schedule and grades are operated based off of quarters. Also to avoid inhibited stress Options students also do not receive homework.

“Because we only have four classes per grading period students are able to focus all of their attention on those four classes,” Barkey said.

A student that is fresh to the Options program is Kaylee Olson a Junior this year at Lewis-Palmer.

“A lot of my friends are are in the program so I decided to join the program and feel more comfortable in school,” Olson said.

“The thing that I have learned to love about the program is that the teachers really care about the students and will slow down the course so that every student feels included,” Olson said.

Erika Nash a counselor here at Lewis-Palmer raves about the success of the options program.

“There are a lot of students in the program that go on to four-year colleges, score highly on standardized testing, join the military or go into the workforce and have well sustaining jobs,” Nash said.

With the huge success that the program is receiving the Options-38 program is increasing its size to help benefit students who need the help of the options program. Standard students who require the help can choose to merge themselves into options classes while keeping a large majority of their standard classes.

The Options-38 Alternative Program is just one of the few opportunities offered by Lewis-Palmer to help reach and assist our school’s diverse student and hopefully, programs like this will continue to benefit students not just in Lewis-Palmer High School school but hopefully across the world as well.